RSS2.0

This Sarcoman robot can juggle

Monday, December 13, 2010


We have seen some interesting robots in our time, and this Sacroman has the ability to do something that I can’t: juggle.

I’m pretty certain that Asimo isn’t capable of doing that. Sure, it may be able to walk up a flight of stairs, but as far as I’m concerned, if a robot can’t do circus stunts, then it isn’t a robot.

Apparently, the robot has a vision system that can somehow make “dynamic adjustments to its movements based on the paths of the balls”. I’ve got a video of it after the jump so you can see it for yourself.

Believe it or not, this video is over four years old. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was older. In fact, I checked on Sarcos Robotics website, a “research and development leader in designing and building”, and the latest news is from the nineties, I’m serious.

Okay, I’m going to be that guy who suggests this. Imagine if you could make several robots that could juggle like this. My question would be if a juggling robot would be at all impressive?

After all, a human learns how to juggle, and it takes some discipline. In fact, it is more discipline than I have ever undertook. However, a robot that juggles is just doing what it is programmed to do. I’ll bet that makes you think twice about starting a robotic circus.

0 comments: